The rapid outbreak of Coronavirus, officially named COVID-19- has left everyone in fear. At the time of writing, there are already 3,000+ confirmed deaths due to the respiratory disease, with most casualties reported in Wuhan, China.
More than 97,000 cases of COVID-19 have been reported so far, and over 7,100 among these are classified as serious. A total of 87 countries across the world have reported cases of people getting infected with the coronavirus. The major outbreaks are said to be in the countries of Central China, South Korea, Italy, and Iran.
Now, India too is seeing increased cases and news about COVID-19 reported each day. To date, there have been over 30 reported cases of Coronavirus here, with the most recent case reported in Ghaziabad, UP. So how has this epidemic of Coronavirus affected the country?
Coronavirus in Delhi & NCR
- The Delhi Government has ordered the immediate closure of all primary schools (up to class 5th) in the city till 31st March due to the threat of a coronavirus COVID-19 outbreak.
- An elderly 69-year old woman from the Janakpuri area in Delhi succumbed to Coronavirus, marking the 2nd death due to the disease in India.
- The Delhi government has also suspended the use of biometric attendance in all government offices, with some of them now using face authentication instead to register attendance.
- The Mughal Gardens has been closed in Delhi, and most events in the city with large gatherings are being canceled due to coronavirus threat.
- To counter the potential outbreak of coronavirus in Delhi, two floors in the newly built super-specialty block of Safdarjung Hospital have been converted into an isolation ward.
- Dr. Ram Manohar Lohia Hospital in Delhi is also prepared for coronavirus with its 32-bed isolation facility. In addition to these two hospitals, the Delhi government has also asked 25 other hospitals (19 government-run and 6 private) to set up isolation wards. All 27 hospitals will together add up to 230 beds for potential victims of COVID-19.
- 14 Italian tourists in India have been diagnosed with the threatening coronavirus. They are currently quarantined at Medanta Hospital in Gurugram.
- The Haryana Government has postponed a scheduled Gurugram Marathon amid the threat of novel coronavirus.
- Most IT firms in Gurugram have created provisions for employees to work from home.
- The Delhi Government is trying to see if thermal screening facilities could be installed at metro stations in the capital.
- All Gyms, Night Clubs, theatres, educational institutions and Spas in Delhi are ordered to remain closed till 31st March.
- The Indian Army and Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) have set up two large isolation facilities in Manesar and Chhawla to counter novel coronavirus. These isolation units can accommodate up to 800 people.
Coronavirus in Kerala
- The first three coronavirus cases in India were reported from Kerala in February. Yet, the state’s remarkable efforts to prevent a larger outbreak has led to the successful recovery and eventual discharge of all 3 patients diagnosed with the rapidly spreading respiratory disease.
- The first 3 cases reported in Kerala were of medical students who had just returned from Wuhan, China- the epicenter of the novel coronavirus outbreak.
Coronavirus in Gujarat
- There are no reported cases of Coronavirus so far in Gujarat.
- 2 high-tech thermal screening systems have been placed at the Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel International Airport to detect people with possible symptoms of COVID-19 disease.
Coronavirus in Telangana
- Telangana reported its first case of Coronavirus on 2nd March, Monday. The person tested positive for COVID-19 is a 24-year-old software developer who recently came back to India from Dubai.
- Two more people working at the IT corridor in a software company were thought to be infected with the coronavirus. Both of them, however, were tested negative.
- But this news itself caused panic as the complex at the said IT Corridor in Cyberabad was closed for a sanitation drive.
- Misinformation about possible cure of coronavirus with a Homeopathic medicine sold by AYUSH was spread on social media. This resulted in the gathering of a long queue of people to buy this medicine at the Government of Telangana Department of AYUSH Centre in Hyderabad.
- Hyderabad’s Gandhi Hospital is set up for testing of coronavirus. Additionally, the government has also set up isolation wards across all districts of the Telangana.
Coronavirus in Andhra Pradesh
- Five Indian people who recently returned from Malaysia, Singapore and Bahrain have been kept in isolation to test for coronavirus in Andhra Pradesh.
- Three of these five quarantined people who returned from Malaysia and Singapore are members of one family and two others are from Bahrain. The samples of all five people have been sent for tests and await results.
Coronavirus in Kashmir
- Five people with a recent history of traveling to countries with coronavirus outbreak have been quarantined in the isolation ward at SKIMS hospital in Srinagar. Their samples have been sent for testing and await results.
Coronavirus in Bihar
- No positive case for coronavirus has been found in Bihar yet. However, over 89 people, which include 14 people who just returned from Iran have been kept under observation in the state.
- Blood samples of 48 of these people were tested for COVID-19 and came out to be negative. The rest await results.
Coronavirus in Uttar Pradesh
- The ISKCON temple in Vrindavan has requested foreigners not to visit the temple for the next two months due to fear of the spread of coronavirus.
- Foreigners who still wish to visit the temple will have to present a medical certificate proving that they are not infected with COVID-19.
- Sale of meat, fish and semi-cooked meat has been banned in the open areas of Lucknow district. This measure to prevent the spread of coronavirus is being used as the virus is said to have first emerged from a meat market in Wuhan, China.
Coronavirus in Uttarakhand
- 240+ isolation wards along with 50 ICU beds are set up at AIIMS Rishikesh to counter the potential outbreak of novel coronavirus.
- Doctors are posted at the Indo-Nepal border and are working 24/7 to ensure that nobody within the army units is infected with COVID-19.
- Strict monitoring to detect the spread of coronavirus is being done in the districts of Champawat, Udham Singh Nagar and Pithoragarh. The medical departments in these districts have accumulated extra stocks of medicines for 2-3 months.
Coronavirus in Goa
- The government in Goa has set up isolation wards with a capacity of up to 10 beds each in three districts.
- The locations where isolation wards are set up include Goa Medical College & Hospital nearby Panaji, Community Health Centre at Chicalim (in South Goa), Primary Health Centre at Sankhalim (North Goa) and TB Hospital in Margao (South Goa).
Coronavirus in Bengaluru
- Five people in Bengaluru are suspected to be infected with the novel coronavirus.
- An isolation ward is already set up in Bengaluru at Rajiv Gandhi Institute of Chest Diseases (RGICT).
Coronavirus in Himachal Pradesh
- To counter the threat of COVID-19, isolation wards have been set up at Public Health Centre in Mcleodganj (Kangra district), Indira Gandhi Medical College & Hospital in Shimla, and a medical college in Tanda down (Kangra).
This blog will be updated regularly to add any important news, facilities, etc., to counter Coronavirus that are implemented in the different states of India.
Visit the World Health Organization’s official website to know more about the novel Coronavirus and take steps to protect yourself and your loved ones from this disease.
Prevention is better than cure!